Document Type Master's Dissertation Author Spang, Freda Maria email@example.com URN etd-12212006-172846 Document Title Verkenning van die ervaring van kinderversorgers in hul rol as opvoeders van kinders in 'n plek van veiligheid (Afrikaans) Degree Magister Educationis (Educational Psychology) Department Educational Psychology Supervisor
Advisor Name Title Dr H M Prinsloo Keywords
- children in need of care
- Educational Psychology
- contributing factors to quality education
- behaviour of children in a place of safety
- the needs of children
- place of safety
- child care worker
Date 2006-05-03 Availability unrestricted AbstractEXPLORATION OF THE EXPERIENCES OF CHILD CARE WORKERS
AS EDUCATORS IN A PLACE OF SAFETY
SUMMARY OF THE STUDY:
This study aims to explore and describe the experiences of child care workers in their role as educators at a place of safety, in order to gain a better understanding of what they see as their educational task and the difficulties they experience in executing this task.
The literature review provides a survey of the purpose of a place of safety, what education of children entails and the specific needs of children who experience trauma in their lives. Some of the factors that influence the way the care workers execute their task as educators, are discussed briefly.
This qualitative case study is approached from the interpretative paradigm. Child care workers were engaged in individual interviews and a focus group discussion.
The data-analysis leads to the following conclusions:
• Although child care workers show understanding for the needs of the children in their care. And have a basic understanding of what education entails, aspects were identified in which they need training and support.
• Child care workers show symptoms of burnout and reveal the need for supervision.
• The way the institution is managed leaves child care workers dissatisfied, which leads to feelings of passivity, negativity, demotivation and a vengeful attitude.
Filename Size Approximate Download Time (Hours:Minutes:Seconds)
28.8 Modem 56K Modem ISDN (64 Kb) ISDN (128 Kb) Higher-speed Access 00dissertation.pdf 417.86 Kb 00:01:56 00:00:59 00:00:52 00:00:26 00:00:02