Document Type Master's Dissertation Author Boers, Nicola Grillion URN etd-11092005-152407 Document Title Genetic parameters and breeding values for the South African warmblood horse population Degree MSc (Agric) Animal Science Department Animal and Wildlife Sciences Supervisor
Advisor Name Title Mr G T J Vermeulen Committee Chair Dr G J Delport Committee Co-Chair Keywords
- competition horses South Africa genetics
- competition horses South Africa breeding
Date 2002-04-01 Availability unrestricted Abstract1. The aim of this study was to determine the genetic parameters and breeding values for the South African Warmblood horse population. Information collected by the Society from 1989 to 1998 was provided for 2143 horses. This information included bloodline, breeder, owner, gender, birth date, pedigree, and scores from the inspection test.
2. Non-genetic factors that had a significant effect were determined for all inspection test traits. Year of inspection was significant for most traits; gender, breeder, owner, category of age at inspection, year of birth, month of birth, month of inspection and the combined effects of bloodline and register were all significant for various traits.
3. The parameters calculated were the environmental and genetic variance, the environmental and genetic correlations and the heritability. The environmental variance ranged from 0.212 to 1.038, and the genetic variance ranged from 0.014 to 0.137. Environmental correlations ranged from 0.012 to 0.924, and genetic correlations ranged from -0.331 to 0.997. Heritability estimates ranged from 0.009 to 0.374.
4. Best linear unbiased estimates were calculated for the independent variables in the traits for which they were significant. Best linear unbiased predictions were calculated for all animals in the population. Genetic trends were graphically presented for the total scores of the inspection test. Positive genetic trend was indicated.
© 2001 University of Pretoria. All rights reserved. The copyright in this work vests in the University of Pretoria. No part of this work may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior written permission of the University of Pretoria.
Please cite as follows:
Boers, N 2001, Genetic parameters and breeding values for the South African warmblood horse population, MSc(Agric) dissertation, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, viewed yymmdd < http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-11092005-152407/ >
Filename Size Approximate Download Time (Hours:Minutes:Seconds)
28.8 Modem 56K Modem ISDN (64 Kb) ISDN (128 Kb) Higher-speed Access dissertation.pdf 837.84 Kb 00:03:52 00:01:59 00:01:44 00:00:52 00:00:04